
I see her from the corner of my eye. She's smaller than the top segment of my thumb. I walk straight, confident, swishing my hips and hair. Trotting closer to my mare. Someone that small cannot pose a threat.
She begins to move, in duplicate, across the grass, opposite the school. I see the class has been dismissed too and wave, pointing to daddy beside me, trying to distract him. He begins to run, the look of delight undeniable. I know he's seen her. Not sure who has told the truth.
She's getting bigger, soon she'll be almost the same size as me.
I've put things in perspective. Know that everything will be fine, if I reach the black, rusty gates before the next car passes me.
I begin to canter, gently. No more fibs. Covering up for eachother.
"What's the hurry?" He asks, laughing.Taking everything in his stride.
I wonder why he hadn't come right out and said it straight away. If he had it would be innocent. Easy to forget about, laugh about like an old joke.
It was because he got caught out he had to think, on the spot.
I knew he loved me, I'd never doubt that. But I was starting to know how he felt about her too.
I thought she was a friend. But if he was innocent, why had she lied?
She was behind us now, slightly distanced. I could feel her eyes on my back, her awkwardness no match to my assuredness, as I took his hand, knowing he'd smile at me that way, as he always did.
"Mummy,I didn't play with Jessica today."
"Didn't you Sweetheart?"I try to sound casual. Feel her brush past me.
I look now and we lock eyes. Her steely blue ones on my muddy green.
"Hi Jessica." He says, voice full of syrup. I turn to see the expression on his dreamy face, feeling my heart drop, like a hot brick.
She's been off poorly, I assume - or too embarrassed to face the consequences.
I wondered if we'd ever know who left the class hamster's cage door open.
They certainly aren't going to tell - but I have my suspicions.
1 comment:
This kept me guessing. If you like reading and are interested in education, you'll probably enjoy Cut Short, the first in my new series of crime thrillers. I'm always interested to know what other writers think of it.
Post a Comment